It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 12:58 am

Fibre, Vdsl, Virgin media. 
Advanced Member

Post Fibre, Vdsl, Virgin media.
I received a letter from Virgin media telling me that i can now go to a faster broadband speed for free as I could now implement fibre ! Just a few instructions in afore mentioned letter for me to mess about with the modem and I would be using fibre.

Well I aint bothered as yet because there is no fibre from street cabinets to the dwellings around here ..they have not been round and defo no activity pertaining to any installations.

Vdsl racket and interference is as bad now as it ever was around these here parts .

Anyone else receive a similar letter full of false promise ?

After a good read of said letter I called Virgin up and got to speak to a nice lady in the Philippines . I asked them to send an engineer round to rip out the pair of copper alloy ? Wires that run up the hedgerow through my front garden ..she said " that will be £25 please" I replied as its you lot that are causing all the interference I wont be paying owt lyke
, she agreed and waved the charge . Bloke coming out with a spanner and a hammer in a months time.

They left a 3 foot long masonary drill bit in the concrete in the side of my front path about 15 years back ..its still there. Cant get it out cant get it in. 73 all

Comments appreciated.

Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:19 am
Profile Send private message

Fibre, Vdsl, Virgin media. 
Contributor 2023

Post Re: Fibre, Vdsl, Virgin media.
I have just gone onto FTTP via Virgin Media.

I had noticed some time ago in our village that little black boxes were being fitted onto existing telegraph poles to carry fibre. A few weeks ago a knock on the door by a salesman who was selling this set up asked if I was interested? When he called he seemed to have a list of names from down the lane of people who had previously shown an interest in getting fibre. He said many were having to wait until their existing ISP contract came to an end. Our VDSL was terrible so I said yes. Fortunately my existing ISP was about to expire so I signed up and got connected before loosing my old ISP.

The fibre runs overhead along the same route as the copper wire. I do not know know if this wire will ever be removed. I suspect eventually it may go when Openreach decide miles and miles of copper and aluminum cable is worth salvaging!

It works fine and is stable. The only time I really notice any speed increase is when downloading a very large volume of data e.g. handbook.

Peter G3VNH

Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:00 am
Profile Send private message