It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 5:32 am

Vdsl ..hi speed internet via fibre 
Advanced Member

Post Vdsl ..hi speed internet via fibre
I know of places in the north-east here where new hi speed fibre, newly installing at present for those that pay a few bob more, is running from the street cabinets to the customers house instead of the usual shielded balanced to the cabinets then unbalanced unshielded crap to the houses/ dwellings. Iv read its better as regards less interfearence to Amateur radio and Iv also read cases where it gets worse !

Also heard of a case when someone complained ( non customer of the hi speed fibre , (paying for average speed service) to installers of said fibre that it was causing interference to hi fi etc and they obliged and installed fibre to his home . Possibly it cleaned it up as the feed to his home was unshielded ?

Also talking to a fellow op in Ripon and he pointed out to me overhead fibre cable coming from telegraph pole and he gets interference of that.

Whats the real skinny on all this .. Tim ?

All best. Andrew. 73

Sun May 29, 2022 3:29 pm
Profile Send private message

Post Re: Vdsl ..hi speed internet via fibre
RINTINTIN wrote:
I know of places in the north-east here where new hi speed fibre, newly installing at present for those that pay a few bob more, is running from the street cabinets to the customers house instead of the usual shielded balanced to the cabinets then unbalanced unshielded crap to the houses/ dwellings. Iv read its better as regards less interfearence to Amateur radio and Iv also read cases where it gets worse !

Also heard of a case when someone complained ( non customer of the hi speed fibre , (paying for average speed service) to installers of said fibre that it was causing interference to hi fi etc and they obliged and installed fibre to his home . Possibly it cleaned it up as the feed to his home was unshielded ?

Also talking to a fellow op in Ripon and he pointed out to me overhead fibre cable coming from telegraph pole and he gets interference of that.

Whats the real skinny on all this .. Tim ?

All best. Andrew. 73

I can't see how it's possible to get interference off the fibre, although I have heard of a faulty PSU in a fibre cabinet causing issues.
The main cable networks have never, as far as I'm aware, used shielded cable. Just balanced pairs, the same as local ends.
These days most feeds are FTC (fibre to cabinet) with just the local end over twisted pairs.
This has upped the speed and avoided use of the dodgy aluminium cable runs.

Some places are now fitting fibre to the home as standard, no copper involved for the internet.
Sometimes this involves leaving in the old copper for the phone, sometimes VOIP being offered.
I can't see a free upgrade being offered unless it suited the supply company.
How could fibre interfere with the HiFi?! Perhaps there was a suggestion the non fibre circuit had an issue?

Fibre to the premises (FTTP) isn't new by a long shot, just more available now.

Cheers

Tony

Mon May 30, 2022 8:39 am

Advanced Member

Thanks Tony, all good info.

Anything one reads up on on the internet as you know should be taken with a pinch.. Always thought that there would be some sort of shielding in some areas from the street cabinets to the dwellings but maybe not.

Im hoping fibre to every subscriber house becomes the norm and that fibre lessens the racket we have to endure.

Cheers Tony. Andy.

Mon May 30, 2022 6:50 pm

Advanced Member

Tony

Are you of the opinion that fibre will solve the horrible vdsl problems we endure in a few years eradicated maybe ?

You seem well versed on the subject and thanks for thst.

Mon May 30, 2022 6:54 pm

RINTINTIN wrote:
Tony

Are you of the opinion that fibre will solve the horrible vdsl problems we endure in a few years eradicated maybe ?

You seem well versed on the subject and thanks for thst.

It will certainly help hugely.
As long as the copper is completely removed - that's what's planned but comes with its own issues - the only possible source of interference are the cabinet power supplies, or possibly the routers.
Other than the odd fault I'm not aware of any cabinet problems.
It's likely all your home based noise issues will take over.

Such a pity that a very poor decision made in the 1980s prevented the possibility of us going to fibre years ago.

Cheers

Tony

Mon May 30, 2022 11:00 pm

Advanced Member

gw8asd wrote:
The main cable networks have never, as far as I'm aware, used shielded cable. Just balanced pairs, the same as local ends.

Cheers

Tony

Virgin is coax.

We also have fibre to the house, at least to the front fence, but it seems that the people laying the cable had instructions to put the connection point in line with the front doors, which means they have to cross driveways, shrubs and paths, so not many want to have it installed, a little bit of common sense or communication would have helped a lot!

Tue May 31, 2022 9:21 am

Sangoma wrote:
gw8asd wrote:

Cheers

Tony

Virgin is coax.

We also have fibre to the house, at least to the front fence, but it seems that the people laying the cable had instructions to put the connection point in line with the front doors, which means they have to cross driveways, shrubs and paths, so not many want to have it installed, a little bit of common sense or communication would have helped a lot!

That's not telephone infrastructure cable.
Coax was used by distributed TV and the, initial, Virgin cable routers were a link back to that.
I'm not sure what the latest installs are but, until recently, they were fibre to the house, or boundary, with a conversion to the cable router.
BT is fibre direct to an optical modem in the house which then connects via CAT5 to the router/hub.

Cheers

Tony

Tue May 31, 2022 5:13 pm

Advanced Member

gw8asd wrote:
Sangoma wrote:
gw8asd wrote:

Cheers

Tony

Virgin is coax.

That's not telephone infrastructure cable.
Coax was used by distributed TV and the, initial, Virgin cable routers were a link back to that.
I'm not sure what the latest installs are but, until recently, they were fibre to the house, or boundary, with a conversion to the cable router.
BT is fibre direct to an optical modem in the house which then connects via CAT5 to the router/hub.

Cheers

Tony

Well it is, for at least the last 20 years.
Just not BT.

Ever since NTL they have fed analogue down the coax, then it changed to digital for TV and broadband, but the phones was/is still analogue.

Tue May 31, 2022 5:46 pm