It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 11:50 pm

Has anyone any tips to help with ADSL interference? 
Contributor 2023

Post Has anyone any tips to help with ADSL interference?
Having virtually given up the hobby sometime ago because of strong ADSL or rather FTTC interference, I was wondering if those that have persisted with this issue have any tips on how they found a workaround. Such as those QRM phase match systems I see advertised? I am mostly SWL at the moment, as I have no TRX kit or antennas, just basic wire ones.

Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:05 am
Profile Send private message

Contributor 2023

Post Re: Has anyone any tips to help with ADSL interference?
I suffer vdsl from fftc on 80 meters and something else on 20 metres maybe vdsl (notsure) but S9 I found an xphase helps somewhat, I recently got an FTDX10, the DNR on it is amazing and i can pull weak signals out of the mush easily on all bands, however the dsp artefacts take a bit of getting used to, make the received sigs sound very echoey like heavy reverb. as always what works for me may not work for others...
Hope you find a solution.

Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:37 pm

Contributor 2023

G0JUR wrote:
I suffer vdsl from fftc on 80 meters and something else on 20 metres maybe vdsl (notsure) but S9 I found an xphase helps somewhat, I recently got an FTDX10, the DNR on it is amazing and i can pull weak signals out of the mush easily on all bands, however the dsp artefacts take a bit of getting used to, make the received sigs sound very echoey like heavy reverb. as always what works for me may not work for others...
Hope you find a solution.

I should have said VDSL, my mistake, but I am sure others understand what I meant. Mine is also S9 from 500kHz through to around 25MHz.
Ofcom was involved some time ago, before I lost the will and gave up on the hobby. For those that did not know, they will not help as it is interference over a line, which basically means they will do nothing. Regardless, I am glad you mentioned the X-Phase, as for around £35-50 they are worth a punt. The signals are there, but the noise in amongst them is severe to make listening a chore, and if it can quell that a little then I am onto a win. Thanks for the comments, it is appreciated.

Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:50 pm

Advanced Member

The only band I can suffer is on 30m, luckily the doublet is OK but any other antenna it's normally about 18dB above the noise floor.

I don't think trying to phase it out will be much good from my own experience, unless it's a point source of noise it will be almost impossible to null out.

I'm surprised it extends up to about 25MHz because the normal FTTC only extends up to 17.66MHz and then it's pretty weak, I can see it on my router.

Have you checked the guard bands to see if the noise drops in between each of the bands? The problem bands are usually the upload bands, especially if someone's router is playing up.

http://rsgb.org/main/files/2020/03/EMC- ... y-2020.pdf

Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:11 pm

Contributor 2023

G4LNA wrote:
The only band I can suffer is on 30m, luckily the doublet is OK but any other antenna it's normally about 18dB above the noise floor.

I don't think trying to phase it out will be much better from my own experience, unless it's a point source of noise it will be almost impossible to null out.

I'm surprised it extends up to about 25MHz because the normal FTTC only extends up to 17.66MHz, and then it's pretty weak, I can see it on my router.

Have you checked the guard bands to see if the noise drops in between each of the bands? The problem bands are usually the upload bands, especially if someone's router is playing up.

http://rsgb.org/main/files/2020/03/EMC- ... y-2020.pdf

I will take a more detailed look now I have an SDR system back in action. Actually you are correct, and I stand corrected. It does indeed reduce somewhat around the 18MHz sections, whereas before this time it was almost the whole of HF. I can only assume they have done some work at the junction box outside the house, of which they are there almost biweekly doing some work on it.

Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:20 pm