It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:18 am

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop

SDR Antenna 
Intermediate Member

Post SDR Antenna
Evening,

Some ideas or advice needed, Santa will arrive with my SDRPLAY2 in just a couple of days and need some help with antenna choice for my /a QTH.

I'm pondering about an active antenna from Crosscountry to overcome a space problem for HF OR putting a wire around the wall of the garden (9ft) opinions?

VHF/UHF ect I'm wondering on a Discone or just use a standard 2m/70cm vertical?

The location is a little noisy and can't have anything noticeable in the garden as a permanent fixture.

I dont have any specific ideas on what I'm going to listen to apart from the ham bands but would like to have the option to listen around at other things, if there's much else worth listening to that is.

My apologies if this should have been posted in the antennas section but thought it was better suited here.

Cheers

Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:38 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

SDR Antenna 
Advanced Member

Post Re: SDR Antenna
M0PAI wrote:
Evening,

Some ideas or advice needed, Santa will arrive with my SDRPLAY2 in just a couple of days and need some help with antenna choice for my /a QTH.

I'm pondering about an active antenna from Crosscountry to overcome a space problem for HF OR putting a wire around the wall of the garden (9ft) opinions?

VHF/UHF ect I'm wondering on a Discone or just use a standard 2m/70cm vertical?

The location is a little noisy and can't have anything noticeable in the garden as a permanent fixture.

I dont have any specific ideas on what I'm going to listen to apart from the ham bands but would like to have the option to listen around at other things, if there's much else worth listening to that is.

My apologies if this should have been posted in the antennas section but thought it was better suited here.

Cheers

You could do worse than knock one of these up (I use it with an Elad FDM-S1)
http://www.qsl.net/m0ayf/active-loop-re ... tenna.html
I have one in the loft & it works very well indeed, in fact on 160m the band would be unusable here a certain times of day due to local noise. It can be S9 + stupid on the Inv. L at times (esp. now with all the Christmas lights on). Switch to the loop & it drops to round S5 with wanted signals only a couple of S points down at worst.
Great for general listening when you can't be bothered with tuning the main Ae.
Costs pence & well worth the effort!

Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:03 pm
Profile Send private message

SDR Antenna 
Contributor 2018

I have tried the original of that loop, it worked OK.

There is also this http://www.pa3fwm.nl/technotes/tn07.html which works OK as well

Then after trying them, there's the one I use now, a piece of twin flex (one half only) tied to the curtail rail, fed over the top of an opening upstairs window, then tied off on a shrub.

Works just as well. I have a DC-light low noise pre-amp (about £6 on ebay) for the odd time I need more signal.

But, to improve the signal to noise ratio with any of the above, the most important part in my mind is a decent a pre-selector.

It some times does not make as big a difference on SDR (using the FDM-DUO), but some times (at present with all the S9+++ Christmas lights) makes more difference.

It can turn a £5 10 band Chinese radio from something that you can't hear anything on except a garbled bag of noises, into a usable SW BC receiver.

Even a simple pre-selector maybe with a built in preamp, will give good results.

I haven't tried an sdrplay, tried an Ensemble RX, cheap RTL dongle and converter, FDM-DUO and several conventional short wave radios.

Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:32 am

SDR Antenna 
Intermediate Member

Thanks guys,

I'm going to see what wire I can get out into the garden and use a manual tuner before I go spending anything.

If the noise here is too bad then the loop option maybe worth trying.

My other thought was to get the sdr setup at the home location and remotely listen on the bands using the antennas I have already setup.

Thanks again, Merry Christmas and a happy new year

Adrian

Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:44 am

SDR Antenna 

M0PAI wrote:
Thanks guys,

I'm going to see what wire I can get out into the garden and use a manual tuner before I go spending anything.

If the noise here is too bad then the loop option maybe worth trying.

My other thought was to get the sdr setup at the home location and remotely listen on the bands using the antennas I have already setup.

Thanks again, Merry Christmas and a happy new year

Adrian

I've a couple of SDR plays in use here.
A couple of things you will need.
Depending on your location, if you are on a long wire you will need a high pass filter to reduce the level of the LW/MW stations that might be about.
Again, depending on location, a filter to reduce the level of any local FM broadcast stations, some of which can cause problems.

One of my SDRPlays is located about 5km away, connected by a link, with a 4M dipole(horizontal) at about 80ft.
Despite the directionality of the dipole, it's very effective, and picks up several beacons.
That has a 72MHz low pass filter in circuit so I can use it on 6M as well.
Eventually it will have a dual band beam on it.
I just have to sort the hardware.

Cheers

Tony

Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:05 pm

SDR Antenna 
Intermediate Member

Thanks Tony,

I've been playing around with dipoles today at the YL's but the noise levels here are terrible.
I will be experimenting here again tomorrow to see what I can knock up but last resort will be to set the SDRPLAY at the home QTH and use it via the net :good:

Hope you are having a good Christmas, all the best for the new year.

Adrian

Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:51 pm