It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:22 am

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop

GPS Locked 10MHz Reference 
Contributor 2017

Post GPS Locked 10MHz Reference
I recently acquired a new breakout board from a clever guy in Sweden, it uses the SI5351-C which has eight outputs and an external reference clock input which bypasses the on-board reference crystal.
I am re-designing the synthesiser unit for my homebrew 70MHz SSB transceiver to incorporate this and want to include a 10MHz GPS locked reference oscillator, has anyone had any experience with using these devices and are there any compact examples that could be included in a radio chassis?

Cheers

Rob.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:05 am
Profile Send private message WWW

Contributor 2018

Post Re: GPS Locked 10MHz Reference
I would rather have a stand alone unit, that can be fed to multiple radios.
They were just over £100, gets a bit pricey having one for each radio.

Your radio could then calibrate itself when connected, and be very close when not connected.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:01 am
Profile Send private message

Advanced Member

2E1IIP wrote:
I recently acquired a new breakout board from a clever guy in Sweden, it uses the SI5351-C which has eight outputs and an external reference clock input which bypasses the on-board reference crystal.
I am re-designing the synthesiser unit for my homebrew 70MHz SSB transceiver to incorporate this and want to include a 10MHz GPS locked reference oscillator, has anyone had any experience with using these devices and are there any compact examples that could be included in a radio chassis?

Cheers

Rob.

I use one of these: http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=107&products_id=234

The same company also sell a smaller, single output version: http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=107&products_id=301

You can program the output to give all sorts of frequencies. They will lock in a few seconds. Originally I thought I would have to place the patch antenna on a window sill or such like, but I've found the unit to be so sensitive that I can just place the antenna anywhere and it still works.

I've been using mine for several months now, mainly to calibrate frequency counters or act as the reference for one (if they have external ref inputs).

Not the cheapest, but they are the latest design and brand new...

Hope that helps, 73.

Mon May 07, 2018 9:02 am

Contributor 2017

Nice one thanks for the info - £150 not bad at all.

Cheers

Rob.

Mon May 07, 2018 10:02 am
Profile Send private message WWW

Advanced Member

2E1IIP wrote:
Nice one thanks for the info - £150 not bad at all.

Cheers

Rob.

I don't think it mentions it, but the patch antenna is included, a USB cable too, and it is all supplied in a small carry-case. The software is a free download. If you always require the same frequency or frequencies then you only have to run the software once. After that the unit will always start up with the output frequencies you programmed. They run on a really wide range of input voltages too.

I opted for the more expensive one because I liked the idea of the twin outputs (you can have the same frequency on both ports but apply a user programmable phase shift for phase receiver projects etc.), and because it uses BNC connectors.

When you have different output frequencies the first port uses whatever dividers it needs, and the second port uses what's leftover. Some of the 'leftover' frequencies can be a little odd. The configuration software gives you a list of frequencies to select from. I nearly always have mine set for 10MHz on both ports so it's not really a problem.

Nearly forgot to mention, the more expensive one can be powered from the USB input or from a DC input on a separate socket, whereas the smaller unit can only be powered via USB.

Mon May 07, 2018 12:44 pm

Contributor 2017

At work, we use these GPS clocks to provide reference time for safety critical systems, they have a 10MHz output.
http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=120&products_id=272

The same company also do a stand alone frequency reference too and its somewhat cheaper.
http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=107&products_id=301&zenid=3efb5d40b31b322698c076def6f87512

It is good to support a small British company, specializing in a niche product. Their service has been exemplary.

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:54 pm

Contributor 2017

Oops beaten to it. :D

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:56 pm