It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:03 am

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop

Encouraging start on 6m 
Contributor 2018

Post Re: Encouraging start on 6m
Must admit that although I totally loved VHF and still do, after being QRT for many years I also felt like the hobby had descended to a level that I wouldn't bother getting active again, but I decided to give it a go.
It ( ft8 ) has many merits already mentioned like conditions monitoring etc, it has certainly made contacts possible for those who are unable to work CW.
I've only had a small number of contacts below workable CW strength, and some qso's at easy CW strength lost due to qsb because it takes longer to complete on ft8.

I do feel that ft8 has become very abused though. Last night 50313 was full of >20 ft8 decodes from North America every receive period and my S meter was S9 or more all the time.
The bottom end of the band was quiet to say the least other than beacons from over the pond.

I managed to drag a Cuban station on ft8 down from 50323 where he was just cq'ing over and over to 50110 where we had a easy 59 qso. I spotted him and he went on to work a few dozen stations.
Similarly tuning around I found a QSO in progress on 50145, I broke in and had a chat with KK4MA/M much to his surprise and mine !

The four SSB qso's I had last night were more FUN than all the rest of the day on ft8 by a mile even though there was some good DX to be had.

It's still there Dave, you've just got to dig a bit deeper these days to get the fun aspect ;)
Whether we like it or not ft8 is here to stay, and likely more digital modes in the near future. However much abused it becomes, it's just another part of the evolution of the hobby.

I do admit the need to actually hear the station I'm working.
I must try to get out of the habit of wearing cans though, due to ft8 the wife is starting to think I've got a addition to headache tablets :shock:

just my tpw

Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:17 am
Profile Send private message WWW

Encouraging start on 6m 
Advanced Member

F4VPC wrote:
I managed to drag a Cuban station on ft8 down from 50323 where he was just cq'ing over and over to 50110 where we had a easy 59 qso.

I did wonder about sending something like "QSY 098" in FT8 for a few overs and seeing if anyone followed down the band?

I've been regularly moving off FT8 when the Es has got strong enough within Eu and worked plenty of people on CW and SSB. But with DX it's been a different matter, the only DX QSO I've had on the traditional modes this year was S01WS on CW. I'm really pleased to have worked 6 new DXCCs on 6m this year (a record year for me in recent times) but it's all been FT8 and some of the signals out of the Caribbean were +12 +15, making it easy CW/SSB territory.

PV8DX in Brazil was +15 on one occasion.....mind you, he still couldn't copy 400W to a 6 ele....

Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:58 am
Profile Send private message

Encouraging start on 6m 
Contributor 2018

Hi Daz

Yes same idea, I'm using MSHV software and have Tx7 with SSB 156 / CW 104 or similar.
If they've been calling and calling cq and still strong, once a ft8 QSO is complete I send one over of the QSY message. Sometimes it works sometimes not.

Lots are just going over and over same stns day in day out on 313 just cause they can. I feel better to wrk once and then leave for someone new. Some big stations who've been on the band a long time are even today still at it.
Guess they feel there is a chance of possibly something new while they are doing it - maybe it would.

As you say anything with the strengths of some, SSB qso's possible and CW a cert

The SSB /M last night actually drove into an adjacent square while on the Interstate so we exchanged reports again for the new grid.
Had a super Email off him today, he was absolutely amazed as was I - he was running a IC706 to a Halo on a Toyota Pick-up.

Today again been looking for Nobby on J3 who's active for another week I think but just saw him the odd occasion.

As for PV8DX, I've tried to help Paulo with his noise issues via Email and he's had a little success.
He lives about 2km from the City center and it's only on a Sunday that his noise floor drops to a reasonable level.
Certainly if you see him again (usually he keeps about 1200Hz) call off freq and keep above 500Hz as it's really bad for him below for some reason.

cul no doubt, have fun in the Zoo ;)

Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:09 pm

Encouraging start on 6m 
Advanced Member

F4VPC wrote:
Today again been looking for Nobby on J3 who's active for another week I think but just saw him the odd occasion.

He's just been in on 097 CW altho I just missed him.

Just worked a Puerto Rican on 098 CW, called CQ on 090 CW and another came back to me - so there is a bit of life on the traditional modes :yahoo:

Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:11 pm

Encouraging start on 6m 
Advanced Member

Ignoring the pros and cons of FT8, and internet chat rooms, listening to some of the other operating comments you guys have been making, is certainly refreshing.

Unlike some of the licence abusing dross that has infiltrated the hobby, it's nice to chat/discuss, amateur radio, with radio amateurs.

A pleasure guys.

Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:05 pm

Encouraging start on 6m 
Contributor 2017

I always feel a bit sorry for PV8DX..and i noticed PV8ADI has the same problem on 6M,it must be a tad frustrating.

Band open again this afternoon/evening towards North america,over as far as EM10 from here,not heard anything in the Delta line.

Did I mention I got a new DXCC yesterday on 6M ?..actually like buses I worked TG9ANF and then TG9ANQ,so thats the willy waving out of the way. :D

I was pretty chuffed though,that's the first new DXCC on 6M for ages,it would have been far more satisfying if it had been on CW but it would never have happened as the opening was so brief i only decoded snippets of them for the rest of the opening.G3TXF was calling YS1MAE but I never heard the YS.

Whilst on the subject of willy Waving I never quite understand why you would want to work some of the rarer ones twice,I think its fair game to give someone else a chance,thus if I see someone I've worked before calling I wont go back unless they keep calling and I appear to be the only one hearing them.

Today I called VP2EIH and he came back in North American contest mode sending me OH81 for an eternity...what the hell is that all about ?...its not a contest,I need a report,and that does neither so I packed in mid QSO slightly annoyed,maybe Im just getting grumpier as I get older.

Anyway

If I didn't know any better I would think that 6M is open every afternoon/evening towards NA/SA the way the band has been of late,but the big unanswered question this year is "Where are all the Japs ? " ;)

Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:53 pm

Encouraging start on 6m 
Advanced Member

The weirdest think with PV8DX was that he copied my CQ today on a relatively dead band, yet I couldn't complete a QSO with him when he was +15 in that massive opening.

After last year I can't believe how bad the JA path has been - non-existent. I've been chasing JA for so long, nearly got there last year (was copied by 4 stations but no complete QSO), I've taken every Mon & Tues off in June and absolutely nothing to the east outside Eu, not really any OH/SM which is usually the first hop to JA. Ah well, gives me something to aim for next year :banghead:

Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:40 pm

Encouraging start on 6m 
Contributor 2017

I have to be honest, I probably wouldn't log anything other than an SSB contact (don't / can't use CW)

following reading this thread, I quickly installed WSJT/X and started decoding a boat load of W stations, at what I assume were easily workable strengths.

held no interest to me at all, though I did go and find HI8RD on 50.130 for an easy new square.

he was bashing away at W and came back to my call, it seemed the rest of Europe was on FT8, he went straight back to W after we'd completed.

as a propagation indicator, I can see the allure of FT8, but even a new DXCC on 6m wouldn't tempt me to TX, just doesn't 'feel' like radio!

from here, to the world.

Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:58 pm

Encouraging start on 6m 
Contributor 2017

I know exactly what you mean Simon,FT8 contacts feel less of a QSO to me,and I find it a shame that its all gone that way on 6M..however that's the truth of it,and as far as QSOs go they are classed as exactly the same as an RTTY contact or any other data mode.

Personally I think FT8 on HF is a complete waste of time..but can see why some would use it there.

I left 50.313 last night with hoards of NA's coming in that would be easily workable on CW to do exactly that and went on to 50.102Mhz and called for 20mins,the end result was K1TL who was truly 599 and that was it.

Meanwhile up on 50.313/323 they were still 20 deep.

Its both sad and frustrating in equal measure,but you cant turn back time to how it used to be.

Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:32 am

Encouraging start on 6m 
Contributor 2018

Congrats on the TG qso's Paul, I saw one briefly on the 18th but he answered F8DBF and the faded after next CQ, maybe it'll happen this year maybe not but at least there's always something new to look out for.

It was patchy throughout the day yesterday when I was able to check the band, but it really opened up across the pond here from about 18:30 with loads of ft8 on 313 and 323 and surprisingly a decent amount of activity on CW some with very big signals indeed.
The only SSB was K0KKO who was asked to go SSB after a CW qso.

I heard you working K1TL, as you say he was a super signal - mind you, you were doing a pretty good job yourself on backscatter :cool:

Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:08 am

Encouraging start on 6m 
Contributor 2017

Quote:
mind you, you were doing a pretty good job yourself on backscatter :cool:

One would hope so ;)

A bit of a quiet start this morning,although EX8MLT just popped up

Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:26 am