It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:40 am

Hi need an antenna 
Advanced Member

Post Hi need an antenna
Hi looking for a short antenna as got a small garden and seen this are these good and anyone in uk build these .Thanks

https://www.hyendcompany.nl/antenna/mul ... lack_Clamp

Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:52 am
Profile Send private message

Hi need an antenna 
BANNED

Post Re: Hi need an antenna
M6NQW wrote:
Hi looking for a short antenna as got a small garden and seen this are these good and anyone in uk build these .Thanks

You would be better off with a balanced aerial to start with mate, those endfeds have good reviews but still they are expensive and can come with issues like any antenna.
What space do you have and can you erect any poles or have trees ?

Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:00 am

Hi need an antenna 
BANNED

Why not buy some wire and have a go at making an antenna to fit your requirement?
There are plenty designs to get you going such as a Dipole, nice easy one to start with or a trap dipole which will give you access to multiple bands - if you have an ATU just string a random length or wire up and see where it will tune up - you might be pleasantly surprised.

Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:00 am
Profile Send private message WWW

Hi need an antenna 
BANNED

Yep it's easy to be sucked into the wasting money on antennas in this hobby Rob I know I did it till I gained a little knowledge and I hate to see new ops doing it.....snake oil :D

Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:03 am

Hi need an antenna 
BANNED

M0VMT wrote:
Yep it's easy to be sucked into the wasting money on antennas in this hobby Rob I know I did it till I gained a little knowledge and I hate to see new ops doing it.....snake oil :D

The good old £80 G5RV, or the HyGain Silver Rod with the loading coil removed and a 9:1 UNUN transformer clagged on the bottom and sold for £150.

Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:12 am
Profile Send private message WWW

Hi need an antenna 
Advanced Member

M0VMT wrote:
M6NQW wrote:

You would be better off with a balanced aerial to start with mate, those endfeds have good reviews but still they are expensive and can come with issues like any antenna.
What space do you have and can you erect any poles or have trees ?

I have a cobweb on 30ft 12 volts electric tower and want a small antenna for 80/40 I bought a hustler 5btv was awfull s9 /30 im using a 66ft endfed but don't seem to do much on it

Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:39 pm

Hi need an antenna 
Advanced Member

2E1IIP wrote:
M0VMT wrote:

The good old £80 G5RV, or the HyGain Silver Rod with the loading coil removed and a 9:1 UNUN transformer clagged on the bottom and sold for £150.

I bought a western hf 10 and it wouldn't fit was to big so its the space im lacking

Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:40 pm

Hi need an antenna 
Contributor 2023

The problem with small antennas is the narrow bandwidth and poor efficiency.
you say you cant fit freds western 10 in your garden how about bending the ends into a z to fit?

you dont give enough info to allow anyone to suggest things. saying you lack space tells us nothing, how big is your plot exactly length and width??

here I have room for an inverted v dipole for 40 metres, to get 80 metres I added coils to each leg and a couple of feet of wire
this was bent at 60 degrees to the main legs back toward the centre, works fine.

Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:42 pm

Hi need an antenna 
Advanced Member

G0JUR wrote:
The problem with small antennas is the narrow bandwidth and poor efficiency.
you say you cant fit freds western 10 in your garden how about bending the ends into a z to fit?

you dont give enough info to allow anyone to suggest things. saying you lack space tells us nothing, how big is your plot exactly length and width??

here I have room for an inverted v dipole for 40 metres, to get 80 metres I added coils to each leg and a couple of feet of wire
this was bent at 60 degrees to the main legs back toward the centre, works fine.

from my chimney to a pole at furthest point in the garden is 50ft the grass bit of the garden 12 12ft by 12ft

Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:26 pm

Hi need an antenna 
Advanced Member

I just managed to find your location and work out which is your house, it looks like you are in quite a unique position there, have you thought about the front garden to the back? I did a quick measure and it's 94 feet including the chimney, if you put an antenna up as an inverted Vee then you'll have close to 100 feet from front to back.

You could easily put a ZS6BKW antenna in that space, it's easy to make and cheap to build.

Just a thought.

Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:53 pm

Hi need an antenna 
Advanced Member

G4LNA wrote:
I just managed to find your location and work out which is your house, it looks like you are in quite a unique position there, have you thought about the front garden to the back? I did a quick measure and it's 94 feet including the chimney, if you put an antenna up as an inverted Vee then you'll have close to 100 feet from front to back.

You could easily put a ZS6BKW antenna in that space, it's easy to make and cheap to build.

Just a thought.

I CANT HAVE ANYTHING IN THE FRONT GARDEN 1ST WE HAVE 2 CARS AND COUNCIL STATES ANTENNA ARE TO BE IN THE REAR OF PREMISES

Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:24 pm

Hi need an antenna 
Contributor 2023

Calm down no need to shout. Paul was just offering a solution btw the zs6bw mounted as paul suggests is just a length of wire if yoy choose the right wire it will be hardly noticeable, however if you reply shouting, good day to you and good luck.

Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:33 pm

Hi need an antenna 
Advanced Member

M6NQW wrote:
I CANT HAVE ANYTHING IN THE FRONT GARDEN 1ST WE HAVE 2 CARS AND COUNCIL STATES ANTENNA ARE TO BE IN THE REAR OF PREMISES

Blimey! Message received and understood, OUT!

Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:46 pm

Hi need an antenna 
BANNED

Nowt to do with the bloody jobs worth council you'll find anything no higher than the apex is a go in England they can't stop you !

Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:48 pm

Hi need an antenna 
Advanced Member

G4LNA wrote:
M6NQW wrote:
I cant have antenna in the front first we have 2 cars and council say antenna are to be at rear of the house

Blimey! Message received and understood, OUT!

Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:08 pm