It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:20 am

Hustler 5btv 
Advanced Member

Post Hustler 5btv
Hi m6nqw here . iv been passed my foundation 2 months and going thru getting antenna setup .iv got a 5 band cobweb which is awesome but cant get 80/40m so bought a wire 66ft with 9/1 unun and wasn't doing good it so bought a hustler 5btv .Iv been told to buy a ...DX Engineering Maxi-CoreĀ® Feedline Current Chokes DXE-FCC050-H05-B , bout at over Ā£100 quid was told it would bring noise level down which is s8 would a similar cheaper version be about and will it help stop noise levels Thanks M6NQW

Sat May 12, 2018 10:41 am
Profile Send private message

Hustler 5btv 
Advanced Member

Post Re: Hustler 5btv
Putting your post code from QRZ into googlemap it looks like you live in a typical modern urban area albeit a nice distance from Coventry but you'll still pull in noise from the surrounding houses using a vertical.

On the higher bands 20m and above here at my QTH I get S5 noise on average on 40 and 80m with a doublet at about 20ft above ground that noise level was higher at nearer S7 when I used a 10m high fishing pole vertical ground mounted against a shed load of radials.

If you could get away with it a 40m element at 16ft square on that Cobweb would be a better alternative to the Hustler.

If it helps in the evenings my noise level can be up around S8 on 40m much of that is probably down to crap domestic electrical equipment.

Cheers, Dave.

Sat May 12, 2018 4:45 pm

Hustler 5btv 
Advanced Member

Thanks muchly

Sat May 12, 2018 5:00 pm

Hustler 5btv 
BANNED

The vertical comes with free noise I'm afraid......and so does the unun, you could make a folded dipole and it would be better on the noise levels as for the choke I wouldn't spend that and would try different ways of getting a signal out and in as both the vert and end fed are the worst antennas you could have picked.
The hustler is so narrow banded and needs a radial mat, you could move the unun and lay some counterpoises???
If the cobweb is coping then you have to ask why the others are not, I have some noise here but the cobweb and my ocf with home made ladder line copes, I once used a unun here the noise was horrendous.
Oh well don't get disappointed and do not buy into snake oil it is a fast way of burning money in this hobby, think out of the box and do loads of reading/researching on the net.
Noise is one challenging subject.............

Sat May 12, 2018 5:14 pm

Hustler 5btv 
Advanced Member

Remember Band Conditions are not the best at the moment...

M0KLL Last CoG RAE Exam December 2003

Sat May 12, 2018 9:27 pm

Hustler 5btv 
BANNED

Advent wrote:
Remember Band Conditions are not the best at the moment...

I don't think the band conditions have anything to do with his noise levels....S8 is bad.

Sat May 12, 2018 9:59 pm

Hustler 5btv 
Advanced Member

its a learning curve at 61 years young its abit to much at times . I'm limited to a small garden the cobweb is awesome I need an antenna for 40 and 80 . I bought a G7FEK s9 noise .so tried this G Whip widebander S9 now this 5btv yesterday I put down 10 radials and put them under grass will do more today .as I'm new to all this and disabled its taking me longer to sort than abled body . I wonder if a wire without unun but balun would be any better .M6nqw

Last edited by M6NQW on Sun May 13, 2018 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 13, 2018 6:05 am

Hustler 5btv 
Advanced Member

its a learning curve at 61 years young its abit to much at times . I'm limited to a small garden the cobweb is awesome I need an antenna for 40 and 80 . I bought a G7FEK s9 noise .so tried this G Whip widebander S9 now this 5btv yesterday I put down 10 radials and put them under grass will do more today .as I'm new to all this and disabled its taking me longer to sort than abled body . I wonder if a wire without unun but balun would be any better .M6nqw

Sun May 13, 2018 6:08 am

Hustler 5btv 
BANNED

Unbalanced isn't really the way you want to go in my opinion bud, thing is the probability factor is the closer you are to ground the more chance you have of getting noise by the sound of it.
If the cobweb is quiet it's because it's up in the air meaning that's where your next project needs to be, I made a folded diopole multiband and it was free of most noise.
Get a transistor type radio and see if you can pinpoint the noise? That would then allow you to move away from it etc.
My next door neighbour has a plasma and no matter where I site antennae I can not avoid it :shock:
You could try one of the giszmo cancelling devices but they are a small fortune and you are probably better asking around to see if you could borrow one, that would be my last resort though.
Don't you have a club with more knowledgeable members to help ? Or local chappies to help you along ?
Also please put your location on through the profile settings, and a name would be nice :D

Sun May 13, 2018 9:22 am

Hustler 5btv 
BANNED

Just read the qrz John, you are using the new 7610 have you tried NB and the rest of the noise shifting gizmo knobs ?
I can null the plasma next door with the simple noise blanker allowing me to operate on 80.

Sun May 13, 2018 9:44 am

Hustler 5btv 
Contributor 2024

How long is your garden ?
How big is your attic ?
How tall is your house ?

There are many options if you have a long enough garden but it is certainly not the end of the world if you don't . You could even try a loop if your home has enough space for it. Attic antennas can also work well .

The advice about radials and/or an earth mat with your 66' wire is correct especially if it is folded into an L shape .This works for me from a very small back yard so don't despair ........Persevere!

http://hamuniverse.com/hfdoublet.html

http://www.users.icscotland.net/~len.pa ... ntenna.htm
http://www.radioworks.com/nloop.html

I hope this helps in some way and might contribute positively to the discussion

Sun May 13, 2018 10:39 am

Hustler 5btv 
Advanced Member

M0RDI wrote:
How long is your garden ?
How big is your attic ?
How tall is your house ?

There are many options if you have a long enough garden but it is certainly not the end of the world if you don't . You could even try a loop if your home has enough space for it. Attic antennas can also work well .

The advice about radials and/or an earth mat with your 66' wire is correct especially if it is folded into an L shape .This works for me from a very small back yard so don't despair ........Persevere!

http://hamuniverse.com/hfdoublet.html

http://www.users.icscotland.net/~len.pa ... ntenna.htm
http://www.radioworks.com/nloop.html

I hope this helps in some way and might contribute positively to the discussion

the length from chimney to fence is 50 ft iv tried inverted l with a 9/1 unun that was s9 all the time M6NQW

Sun May 13, 2018 2:12 pm